Hospitality English Program
This lesson is about writing simple and continuous sentences using Plural subject
Duration : 90 minutes
At the end of this lesson, you must be able to :
- Identify Plural Subject and know how to match it with Simple or Continuous Verb
- Identify and use Simple Present Verb in Question and Answer
- Identify and use Present Continuous Verb in Question and Answer
Reference : Chapter 1
Watch this video and identify the simple or continuous verbs used
- Class discussion : Tell us what are your daily activities?
- What, Where, Why, When, With Whom do you do it? – Discuss
- What sorts of NOUNS have you used in the discussion?
- What types of VERBS have you used in the discussion?
- Have you used any Adjectives and Prepositions?
- Have you arranged all your Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives and Preposition correctly?
- Let’s discuss
Activity – Work in pairs
- Take turn to ask your partner of his/her daily activities
Exercise 1c : Basic English Communication
Part 1 (Group work)
Fill in the blanks with appropriate answer based on the verb or non-verb used in the questions
- Which room do you stay ? I ____________ in room 325
- What time do you wish a wake up call? I _____________ a wake up call at 6 o’clock
- When are you going to the mangrove? I ______________ there tomorrow
- Are you happy to stay here? Yes, I _____________ very happy to stay here.
- What time do you like to eat lunch? I ______________ to eat lunch about 1.00pm
- Are you in the room now? Yes, I __________ in the room now.
- What are you saying ? I _________________ that the food is nice
- Which country are you from ? I ______________ from Switzerland
- Do you always arrive early for breakfast? Yes, I always____________ early
- How many times do you go for a jog in a week? I ______________ once a week
- Which room do you stay ? I stay in room 325
- What time do you like a wake up call? I like a wake up call at 6 o’clock
- When are you going to the mangrove? I am going there tomorrow
- Are you happy to stay here? Yes, I am very happy to stay here.
- What time do you like to eat lunch? I like to eat lunch about 1.00pm
- Are you in the room now? Yes, I am in the room now.
- What are you saying ? I am saying that the food is nice
- Which country are you from ? I am from Switzerland
- Do you always arrive early for breakfast? Yes, I always arrive early
- How many times do you go for a jog in a week? I go once a week
Part 2 (Group Work)
Using subject I and You, write 10 present sentences (using instruction in bracket) about :
My daily activities
- (simple verb) Q : What time do you arrive at work everyday?
- (simple verb) A : I arrive at 6.45am
- (simple verb) Q : Who do you serve at work?
- (simple verb) A : Usually I serve customers at the restaurant
- (continuous verb) Q : Are you going anywhere tomorrow?
- (continuous verb) A : Yes, I am going to the night market
- (adjective) Q : Are you happy to work here?
- (adjective) A : Yes, indeed I am very happy
- (preposition) Q : Are you on holidays now?
- (preposition) A : Oh no, I am not on holidays anymore
1. In Simple Present Tense
- A Plural subject combines directly with a Simple Plural Verb, eg : I go
- In a Question, Use ‘do’ before a subject, followed by a simple verb, eg : Do you go?
2. In Present Continuous Tense
- I is used with ‘am’ followed by a continuous verb, eg : I am going
- You is used with are followed by a continuous verb, eg : You are going
- The position of ‘am’ and ‘are’ are reversed in Question, eg : Are you going? Am I going?
3. In sentences using an adjective or preposition, the use of am and are is similar to continuous verb, eg : I am happy, You are happy, Am I Happy? Are you happy?
4. Common errors to avoid : I am go, I going, Are you go? Do you going? Do you happy?